Things You Should Know About Pre-Employment Drug Testing
Posted By Kelly Hone on 2018-06-14 12:52
As a major cause of workplace accidents, employers need to prioritise the management of substance abuse and reduce the potential impact. You as an employer, have a duty to protect your employees under the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) which outlines that employers must ensure, as far as reasonably practical, the health, safety and welfare of their employees at work.
Ultimately the responsibility lies with the employer.
Consequences of knowingly allowing an employee who is under the influence of drugs or alcohol to continue working could lead to legal action being taken; under The Misuse of Drugs Act (1971) it is an offence for an employer to knowingly permit the use of controlled substances on their premises.
Employee testing for misuse of drugs and alcohol can keep a business safe and legal with extra benefits including:
- Reduced likelihood of incidents in and throughout the workplace.
- Decreased stress over safety concerns to yourself and other employees.
- Increased productivity from employees.
- Reduced absence.
- Cost savings on recruitment and training of new employees.
- Maintenance of team morale and employee relations.
- Effective disciplinary procedures which are understood by all employees. (a result of implementing a workplace substance abuse policy)
When might workplace drug and alcohol testing be needed?:
Some situations where an employer may feel the need to carry out employee testing for drug abuse or alcohol misuse:
- As a precautionary measure for new employees starting work.
- As a deterrent through random drug and alcohol testing.
- If an employee is suspected of using drugs or alcohol.
- If there has been an accident or incident at work, and it is believed that the employee was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- For abstinence monitoring of an employee who is returning to work having previously been found positive for use of drugs or alcohol.
How we can help:
As professional Occupational Health service providers, HealthScreen UK offers a wide range of Occupational Health assessment services which can be accessed via contracted retainer on a pay-as-you-go basis. We are based throughout the UK with fantastic, high quality on-site services!
Contact us for your FREE quotation or if you have any questions regarding the services we provide!